Monday, July 2, 2012

Poudre Canyon fire

 I don't know what these plants used to be but they're burned to stumps now.  I had to go to the dentist today and the highway to Laramie was closed by a new forest fire right close to the road so I had to take the highway over Cameron Pass down the Poudre Canyon... which has been closed for weeks by a wildfire that burned a lot of trees and houses.  Today, luckily, was the first day they opened that road, so I was able to get to Fort Collins to get my tooth fixed.

One good thing about driving down the Poudre Canyon after a raging wildfire had closed it for three weeks ... no traffic!  I thought about stopping to see if I could find some BBQ moose --- but decided that would be in bad taste.
 These pictures aren't very colorful.  Of course, the smoke was still a big haze in the air though I didn't see any smouldering spots on the ground.  Still, my camera card is an old one from another camera that I sat on at the Western stock show a couple years ago.  I think I'll get a new card and see if that helps.  I don't know how many people will be interested in these pictures.  Scenery doesn't work all that well for me somehow.  Probably I need a better camera than a little cheapo digital.
 Here's a picture of the entrance to the Narrows coming from FTC.  Trees burned in the Narrows.  The fire burned big time on both sides of the Poudre River all the way up to Rustic.  I don't know why the news didn't say that.  It was just mostly reported about the fire jumping the river at one spot... at the location of that Glacier housing development.  Like that was the only spot where the fire crossed the river.   Basically, Poudre Canyon burned  to the tops of the mountains on both sides of the river  for almost 60 miles.  Some mountains were burned down to the dirt.  Some burned just in spots.  Others are covered with skeletons of burned trees.
These are pictures of lots of burned trees but I don't know if it's showing up that well.  Oh well, I took these pictures to put in my blog--- so I'm going to use them anyway.

4 comments:

  1. And who knows when it will all end? Fires just keep popping up everywhere! You're lucky you're not in New Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( Poudre Canyon was so beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still is beautiful, just shaved looking and ratty in spots. Did you see how there still is plenty of water running in the river? Your dad has been discouraged fishing here in North Park because the water is so low and too warm for the fish.

      Delete