Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mechanicsburg, PA ... Eckelsburg rather

This is a plaque put up by the DAR, honoring Revolutionary War soldiers from the Mechanicsburg area. Our ancestor, Nathaniel Eckels, is listed on here as a private in the war for independence. He was born on the boat over here in 1744 and since he died in 1830, was, apparently, not killed in the revolutionary war.
The Mechanicsburg, PA cemetery at Silver Springs. This cemetery is full of Eckels stones a few of which I recognized and two at least of which my family is directly descended from. The building in this cemetery picture was the site of the signing of the Declaration of Independence by three signers who Jay says were attorneys. I have a pamphlet that tells about it, but I don't know where it is offhand, so I can't say for sure. None of my relations though, I don't think. There were also Clendenons buried here and Hustons, which we are also related to. Mechanicsburg was pretty much where the first Eckels came to from the old country in about 1750, and all stayed until my (our for those of you related) great great whatever, James Starr Eckels, moved to Illinois in 1850.
This here is Jane Starr's grave stone. These stones aren't very clear and easy to make out, but I know she's buried here and this is next to William Eckels' stone, who was her husband. She was his second wife and her cousin, Hannah Starr, was his third. Hannah is buried here also. James Starr Eckels was Jane and William's son.
This is William Eckels' gravestone. He had three wives. His father was Nathanial, who, it's said, was born on the boat over from Ireland in 1744. My grandfather Herron Eckels, always said he was Scot, so I think the Eckels left Scotland because of religious persecution and went to Ireland then here.

1 comment:

  1. Nathaniel Eckles is buried behind house on Houston Dr.

    ReplyDelete