Friday, May 14, 2010

Lake Superior




This is our campsite in Munising at sunset. I have to say this is so cool! I am sitting in our trailer that you see right there, just after I took that picture, and am blogging at the table inside. It has electricity and WiFi. We hardly know how to act. Also, we have had our first experience of the fabled insider-traveler-camper-helpful I-don't-know-what-to-call-it person. Another older couple staying here came by and asked if we needed any help and gave us all kinds of advise and came over to help us get our heater started and told us they used to have a popup and knew all about them and told us the best place to park our trailer and said anything we needed just ask. I was agog. I thought, "This is what you hear about when you hit the road after retiring and join some insider fraternity of retired people traveling the country."

By the shores of Gitche Gumee, By the shining Big-Sea-Water, stood the wigwam of Nokomis.

So, anyway, we are camped on the shores of Gitche Gumee, and that picture is of the shining big sea water that Jay said if I took a picture of the sun just as it disappeared below the horizon I might get that green halo that you sometimes see and a digital camera can capture. I don't know if I got it but it was a little green in the picture before this but it won't download for some reason.

We drove over to Marquette a while ago and I saw the oddest thing. All the mail boxes along the highway had barriers around them, or at least a panel on the side of them. What do you think that means? Jay thought that had something to do with snow plows, but I don't know. I keep remembering those kids in "Stand By Me" driving around with a baseball bat and smashing mailboxes.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been there when the campsite couple came over! Once in a lifetime event. Your lake pictures are wonderful. Looks cold and big.

    ReplyDelete