Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Upper Penninsula




I'm trying to get these pictures arranged the way I want and instead they're going all over the place and I've got TWO of the same one which I didn't want at all!!! I'm just going to have to leave it because it won't go away. Whatever!!!!

Ok. I'm sitting in a Burger King in Manistique in the Upper Penninsula writing this because Dave Loup, who we are visiting up here in the North Woods of Michigan, doesn't have wireless. What is up with that? He is so backwards. Backwoods. He is. He lives on Indian Lake and has wolves killing deer across the road from his house. I did not remember that he was so outdoorsey. He has raised his 2 sons by himself since they were about 5. For those boys it must have been an ideal childhood. Housework seems to have been very minimal but dirt bikes, snow machines, cars, boats, fishing, bicycles, etc. etc. are apparently still major.

This is really the north woods. We love it. Mostly nothing but the great lakes and timber everywhere. They have bear, deer and wolves. Since the wolves were introduced, not as much deer. It's flat with lots of water everywhere. Way more trailer houses than in Traverse City. A lot of trailer houses. Only once did we think we had seen some militia men out at where the Platte River runs into Michigan Lake and people canoe there, but Mark said they were border patrol from Canada. For a second I thought it was a couple of tea party people or something wanting to promote controlling our borders. (Which I don't object to, but still...)

I wondered about the militia crazies in Michigan since you hear about them in the news, but Mark seemed to think itPeninsula issue here. Well, not much. I don't know about the Upper Peninsula. We plan to go camping up at the Picture Rocks on Lake Superior tomorrow. After that we'll probably start heading back

No comments:

Post a Comment